316: Po Lin Monastery
Credit: Attila Jandi
This large monastery is devoted to spreading teaching and awareness of Chan (Zen) Buddhist teachings and charitable work. It was founded in 1906 by a group of monks from China’s Jiangsu province, and its impressive main building, reminiscent of Beijing’s forbidden city, was built on what was then a serene wooded plateau on Lantau Island. The temple was put on the tourist map in 1993 after the construction of the enormous bronze Buddha #314 overlooking it from a hilltop.