310: Former Shanghai Rowing Club
Credit: Threesixfive Content Ltd
Part of the former British consulate compound at the northern end of the Bund #295, the former Shanghai Rowing Club has been impressively restored. The large two-storey clubhouse and boathouse were constructed in 1904 for expatriate rowers, who held regular regattas on the Huangpu River and Suzhou Creek. The boathouse was later demolished and the clubhouse itself narrowly escaped demolition in 2009. The original swimming pool, complete with lanes and diving podiums, is now visible outdoors. The gables are also visible where the swimming pool roof would have come out of the main building. This is one of the city’s most popular locations for couples to take marriage photos.